Trout Waters of Monmouth and Ocean County
- Written by Administrator Administrator
- Last Updated: 23 September 2012 23 September 2012
- Fresh Water-1 (FW1) are those fresh waters that are to be maintained in their natural state of quality (set aside for posterity) and not subjected to any man-made wastewater discharges or increases in runoff from anthropogenic activities. These waters are set aside for posterity because of their clarity, color, scenic setting, other characteristic of aesthetic value, unique ecological significance, exceptional recreational significance, exceptional water supply significance, or exceptional fisheries resource.
- Fresh Water-2 (FW2) is the general surface water classification applied to those fresh waters that are not designated as FW1 or Pine lands Waters (PL).
In addition to the FW1 and FW2 classification, the NJ DEP also has also designated some fresh water streams as:
- Non-trout waters (NT). These waters are generally not suitable for trout because of their physical, chemical, or biological characteristics, but are suitable for a wide variety of other fish species.
- Trout Maintenance waters - (TM) means waters that will support trout throughout the year.
- Trout Production waters - (TP) means waters designated for trout for spawning or nursery purposes. These waters are not always stocked each year and none have been classified TP within the watersheds in Monmouth and Ocean county.
- Pine lands waters - (PL) means all waters within the boundaries of the Pinelands Area.
Following is the classifications of streams and rivers Ocean and Monmouth County by drainage:
Navesink River Drainage
HOCKHOCKSON BROOK (Colts Neck) - Entire length FW2-TM
Pine Brook (Cooks Mill) Entire length - TM
Hop Brook (Holmdel) Entire length - TM
Shark River Drainage
SHARK RIVER - (Colts Neck) - Source to Rt. 33; FW2-NT
(Neptune) - Rt. 33 to Brighton Ave. bridge, Glendola; FW2-TM
(Glendola) - Brighton Ave. bridge to Atlantic Ocean; FW2-NT.
Manasquan River Drainage
The MANASQUAN RIVER - MAIN STEM which is designated as TM (FW2 TM) as follows;
(Freehold) - Source to Rt. 9 bridge.
(Howell) - Rt. 9 bridge to the West Farms Road Bridge in Howell Township,
(Howell) - West Farms Road Bridge in Howell Township to the downstream boundary of Manasquan River Wildlife Management Area.
TRIBUTARIES to the MANASQUAN RIVER are classified as follows;
(Adelphia) - Entire length is classified as non trout (FW2-NT).
(Allaire) - Those portions of the first and second southerly tributaries west of the Hospital Rd. which are located entirely within the boundaries of Allaire State Park are classified as Trout Maintenance (TM).
(Mill Run) - Entire length of Mill Run, including Brisbane Lake and its tributaries FW1 NT
(Allaire State Park) -- The easterly tributary to Mill Run upstream of Brisbane Lake, located entirely within the Allaire State Park boundaries, is classified as FW1-TM.
(Freehold) - Tributaries within the boundaries of Turkey Swamp Wildlife Management Area are classified as FW2-NT.
MINGAMAHONE BROOK - MAINSTEM
(Farmingdale) - Entire length, is FW2-TM except East Branch.
EAST BRANCH --(Farmingdale) - Source to confluence with mainstem north of Farmingdale FW2-NT.
Toms River Drainage
TOMS RIVER - MAIN STEM
(Holmeson) - Source to Rt. 528 bridge, Cassville-- FW2-NT
(Van Hiseville) - Rt. 528 bridge to Rt. 547 bridge in Whitesville, -- PL(TM)
(Whitesville) - Rt. 547 bridge to Pinelands Protection and Preservation Area boundaries at the NJ Central Railroad tracks, except tributaries described separately, under Tributaries below. -- PL(TM)
(Manchester) - NJ Central Railroad tracks to Rt. 571 bridge, except tributaries described separately, under Tributaries below. -- FW2-TM
(Toms River) - Rt. 571 bridge to Barnegat Bay, except tributaries described separately, under Tributaries below. -- FW2-NT
TRIBUTARIES, TOMS RIVER
(Holmeson) - Tributaries within the boundaries of the Pinelands Protection and Preservation Area. -- PL TM
(Van Hiseville) - All tributaries outside the boundaries of the Pinelands Protection and Preservation Area which enter the River between the Rt. 528 bridge, Cassville, and the Rt. 547 bridge, PL TM
Whitesville, except Dove's Mill Branch described separately below. -- FW2-TM
(Toms River) - All tributaries within the boundaries of the Pine lands Protection and Preservation Area. -- PL TM
(Manchester) - NJ Central Railroad tracks to Rt. 571 bridge, except tributaries described separately, under Tributaries below FW2-TM
(Archer's Corners) - All tributaries outside the boundaries of the Pinelands Protection Area and within the boundaries of Colliers Mills Wildlife Management Area. -- FW2-NT
DOVE'S MILL BRANCH
(Van Hiseville) - Entire length, except the segment described separately below. - FW2-NT
(Holmansville) - Stream and tributaries within Butterfly Bogs Wildlife Management Area. FW2-NT.
MAPLE ROOT BRANCH (Jackson) - Source to confluence with Toms River.-- PL-NT
Metedeconk River Drainage
METEDECONK RIVER -SOUTH BRANCH:
(Jackson) Clear Stream Entire length FW2 -. TM
(Lakewood) - Entire length, including all tributaries FW2-NT.
METEDECONK RIVER- NORTH BRANCH (Freehold) - Source to Aldrich Rd., including all tributaries FW2-NT.
(Lakewood) - Aldrich Rd. to Lanes Mills, FW2-TM.
(Brick) - Lanes Mills to confluence with Metedeconk River, South Branch, including the westerly tributary FW2-NT.
MAIN STEM METEDECONK RIVER-TM
(Brick) - Confluence of North and South branches to Forge Pond FW2-NT. (Brick) - Forge Pond to Barnegat Bay FW2-NT
Surface Water Quality Standards N. J. A. C. 7:9B, NEW JERSEY DEPARTMENT OF ENVIRONMENTAL PROTECTION June 2005